For this reason, our labels and the work we do is underpinned by research. Our ‘What Consumers Want’ report draws on five major pieces of consumer insight research, including a study with over 5,000 UK consumers in Spring 2023, undertaken for OPRL Ltd by Tangible Branding, a consumer research company. Here are some of the key insights:
Understanding what information consumers respond to and how they behave is essential to get consumers recycling, more often.
Consumers most frequently checkon-pack for recycling knowledge
Q - Where do you get your knowledge about what you can recycle and how?
- I rarely/never look for information
- I used to look but don’t anymore
- I look occasionally in case information has changed
- I look occasionally when I’m not sure what to do
- I regularly look for information
Consumers are confused with many recycling labels
Q - Do you recognise and understand what each of these label mean?
- I am very certain what this label means
- I think I know what this label means but I'm not certain
- I'm not sure what this label means